Medical Legal Family Advocacy Project
What is the Medical - Legal Family Advocacy Project (MLFAP)?
The participants in the MLFAP are Westside Family Healthcare, Inc., a nonprofit federally qualified health center that provides healthcare without regard to ability to pay; the Delaware Chapter of the American Academy of Pediatrics; and Community Legal Aid Society, Inc. (CLASI). CLASI works with health care providers to address non-medical barriers to health, such as substandard housing conditions and insufficient health care coverage.
Why is this project needed?
The provision of health services does not operate ina vacuum. The root causes of a patient's poor health may include substandard housing, insufficient income, or other problems that legal assistance can alleviate.How do I obtain services?
The MLFAP accepts referrals to the project from health care providers at Westside. If you are a Westside patient and would like to apply for services through the project, talk to your doctor about a referral. Westside patients meet with a CLASI legal professional by appointment at Westside's facilities. You can also request an appointment through the Westside Family Healthcare receptionist.
What General Problems Are Handled By The MLFAP?
Click on the general topics below for informational concerning legal problems that CLASI handles.
• Unsafe Housing Conditions
• Housing Code Violations
• Public Housing Rights
• Section 8 and other Subsidized Housing Rights
• Mortgage Foreclosures
• Discrimination and accommodations for disabilities
Government Benefits & Means to Obtain a Livable Income:
• Social Security/SSI
• Food Stamps
• Medicare / Medicaid
• Welfare (TANF)
• General Assistance
Disability Related Problems:
• Accommodations (ex: work, school, rental property, or public places)
• Obtaining assistive technology
• Receiving vocational training
• Assistance with mental health and developmental disabilities facilities/ programs
• Obtaining an appropriate (special) education
• Suspended, expelled, or incarcerated youth
Family, Immigration & Other Problems:
• Assistance for victims of domestic violence
• Child protective services problems (representation of parents who need services to prevent the state from taking their children, or to have their children returned to them.
• Immigration issues (only for juveniles and victims of domestic violence, crime, or trafficking)
• Assistance for the elderly or persons with disabilities (ex: Powers of Attorney, Advanced Health Care Directives, Debt Collection, consumer law, advocacy for victims of crime, etc.)
CLASI does not handle the following:
• Criminal Matters
• Malpractice Cases
• Traffic Offenses
| || |