For the second year in a row, CLASI was named one of the top workplaces in Delaware as evaluated by employees in 2017. This year, CLASI was the top nonprofit with under 100 employees and placed 5th among all small companies in the state. See the Delaware News Journal’s story for more details:
- Receptionist / Secretary
- Fair Housing Testers
- Request for Attorney Fellowship Proposals
- Volunteer Positions
CONTEXT OF POSITION:
The Receptionist portion entails being the primary person responsible for fielding calls from the public. The Secretary portion of this position entails typing for attorneys, paralegals and administrative staff which are assigned by the Office Manager as well as performing other secretarial functions related to the legal work. The errands shall be delegated by the Office Manager.
The Office Manager will coordinate and supervise this position.
- Answer incoming calls;
- Retrieve messages from voice mail and return the calls;
- Greet walk-ins;
- Obtain information from clients and enter the appropriate information in the case management system (“Legal Server”) and email them to the appropriate staff;
- Check fax folder for incoming faxes and forward them to the appropriate staff;
- Date stamp and sort incoming mail and give it to the appropriate secretary and/or distribute them to staff; and
- Copy clients’ documents and give them to the appropriate staff. However, if there is a lot of copying, let the appropriate secretary know and she will do the copying.
Secretarial duties assigned by the Office Manager:
- Type letters, documents, forms, etc.;
- Open and/or close files;
- Prepare Monthly Time Reports and Time and Attendance Sheets;
- Faxing, Copying and/or Scan documents;
- Filing / organize files; and
- Interpret for meetings between staff and clients and translate documents in any office, in person or via videoconference/phone.
Errand Person’s duties:
- File court documents;
- Deliver errands within walking distance (10-block radius of office building);
- Pick up incoming mail, date stamp and distribute the mail to the appropriate staff; and
- Stamp outgoing mail and take it to a mailbox and/or post office.
- Any other reasonable related business duties as assigned by the Office Manager, as required.
To Apply: Email resume and cover letter to Cindy Stopyra, Office Manager New Castle County office, firstname.lastname@example.org
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
CLASI conducts testing for compliance with Fair Housing laws in New Castle, Kent and Sussex counties. Trained testers pose as home seekers and visit housing providers to collect information to assist with regional monitoring and investigations. Testers are paid a small stipend $50 – $65) for their efforts and are reimbursed for mileage, tolls and postage. Testers document their experiences objectively, so attention to detail and excellent writing skills are required. CLASI relies on fax and/or e-mail to notify testers, set up scenarios and submit tests. Qualified applicants will have access to a reliable form of transportation. Accepted applicants must attend a 2 – 3 hour training session and complete a paid practice test.
Community Legal Aid Society, Inc. “CLASI” will sponsor candidates for post graduate public interest attorney fellowships provided by the Skadden Foundation, Equal Justice Works, or other identified foundations. A fellowship at CLASI provides recent law school graduates interested in a public interest law career the opportunity to work at a non-LSC funded legal services and Protection and Advocacy program. Since its establishment in 1946, CLASI has remained the largest non-profit public interest law firm in Delaware. More information about CLASI can be found at www.declasi.org.
CLASI will accept fellowship applications through July 5 each year. Interested candidates may wish to consult with us in advance regarding suggestions for viable proposals. We encourage interested candidates with diverse cultural backgrounds and/or oral proficiency in languages other than English to contact us.Interested candidates should submit the following electronically:
- Cover Letter addressing their interest and experience in public interest and poverty/disability/elder law and describing any ideas for a fellowship proposal.
- Although we ask that you describe any ideas you have regarding a fellowship proposal please note that it is not necessary to have a proposal at this stage of the application process.
- One or Two Brief Legal Writing Samples
- Law School Transcript
- List of Three References
- A list of any other organizations with whom you are pursuing fellowship opportunities.
These materials should be sent via email to the attention of Daniel Atkins at email@example.com. Candidates may address any questions about the application process to Daniel Atkins: (302) 575-0660, ext. 229 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note that CLASI may sponsor more than one individual for each Fellowship opportunity and that Fellowship awards are not guarantees of employment with CLASI once the fellowship expires.
CLASI welcomes applications from attorneys interested in volunteering in one of our three offices for work in our poverty law, elder law and disabilities law programs.
Law Clerk Positions
CLASI welcomes applications from law students interested in volunteering in one of our three offices during the summer or school year. Law clerks may receive credit or work study funding from their law schools or may be eligible for a grant from a public interest organization.
CLASI welcomes applications from individuals interested in volunteering in any of our three offices to help with tasks such as client interviews, document preparation, discovery and community education.
CLASI welcomes applications from individuals interested in volunteering in any of our three offices to help with tasks such as typing, filing, answering telephones, document scanning and preparation, and special event planning.
CLASI welcomes applications from individuals interested in volunteering in any of our three offices to help with tasks such as bookkeeping, public relations, and special event planning.
Send resume and cover letter to:
Daniel Atkins, Esq.
100 W. 10th Street, Suite 801
Wilmington, DE 19801or
E-mail resume and letter to: